10 Reasons Your Company Should Drug Test:
- Drug use impairs one's ability to function, and the effects are long lasting. It can affect an employee's job performance even if they only use during non-working hours.
- An employee who uses drugs is 3.6 times more likely to be involved in a workplace accident, and 5 times more likely to file a worker's compensation claim.
2. Quality of Work
3. Reduced Health Insurance Costs
- The Center for Substance Abuse Research found that light & moderate drinkers cause 60% of tardiness, absenteeism & poor quality work. Heavy Drinkers and alcoholics cause the remaining 40%
- According to SAMHSA research, drug abusers function at 67% of their capacity, and cost American businesses roughly $81 million in lost productivity in just one year.
- Employers with longstanding programs report better health status among employees and their families and decreased use of medical benefits within the same groups.
- According to the National Council on Compensation Insurance, substance abusers are 3 times more likely to use medical benefits than other employees.
- Some companies participating in drug-free workplace programs qualify for incentives such as reduced costs for worker's compensation and other types of insurance.
4. Reduced Turnover
- According to the US Department of Health & Human Resources, there are approximately 9.4 million illicit drug users employed in the United States.
- Substance abusing employees are twice as likely as other employees to have changed employers three or more times in the past year.
5. Reduced Absenteeism
- Alcoholics & problem drinkers are absent 3.8 to 8.3 times more often than other employees, resulting in an estimated 500 million lost workdays annually.
- Drug users are 2.2 times more likely to request early dismissal/time off, 2.5 times more likely to have absences of 8 days or more, and 3 times more likely to be late for work.
- Drug users are absent an average of five days per month, according to the US Department of Labor.
- Pre-employment and random testing have proven useful in reducing absenteeism in the workplace.
6. Fewer Work Related Accidents
- Up to 40% of industrial fatalities and 47% of industrial accidents can be linked to alcohol use.
- Drug users are 3.6 times more likely to be involved in workplace accidents, and 5 times more likely to file a worker's compensation claim. (Institute for Drug Free Workplace, Washington, D.C.)
- When a company policy requires post-accident testing, it may be determined if drug/alcohol use was a factor in the accident, sometimes limiting an employee's claim for injuries sustained as a result of their drug use.
7. Reduced Recruitment Costs
- There is significant cost associated with hiring, training and terminating employees.
- An effective testing program can reduce such costs by hiring non-users at the outset, and maintaining a working environment that discourages substance abuse.
- If your company does not conduct employee drug testing, the number of drug users in your pool of candidates is increased. Q: Where do drug users look for a job? A: At companies that don't test for drugs.
8. More Productive Employees
- Productive employees are the key to a company's success.
- A company that increases productivity is more likely to meet its goals and maintain a high level of growth and expansion.
- Remember - Employees who use drugs are 33% less productive than non-using employees.
- Having a Drug Testing Program improves morale. Good employees resent having to pick up the slack for drug-using co-workers.
9. Reduced Workplace Conflict
- Conflict in the workplace can decrease productivity and present a danger to life and property.
- Substance abuse is the third leading cause of workplace violence, according to the Society of Human Resource Management.
- By implementing an Employee Drug Testing Program, your company can reduce risks presented to your employees and your property, and limit civil liability.
10. Fewer Theft and Claims
- It is proven that conducting employee drug testing reduces thefts and claims.
- 80% of drug abusers steal from their workplace to support their drug use, according to the National Drug-Free Workplace Alliance.
- Drug users are 5 times more likely to file a worker's compensation claim.
- According to the National Council on Compensation Institute, 38% to 50% of all Worker's Compensation claims are related to substance abuse.
Contact us today to discuss making Quick Trax, LLC your partner in implementing a drug testing program.
Call us now at 1-877-837-8011.
Return to Top of Page